Saturday, June 2, 2012

I have the blues. The "Facebook Blues". I can't seem to shake them either. When I first learned of Facebook, it changed my life, I LOVED it! I could get in touch with people I haven't seen or talked to in YEARS. It was so much fun! Being the social butterfly that I am - it was the perfect solution. I could see old friends faces and their families. I kept up with family that I don't see often and see pictures of their kids and visa-versa. It really was a good thing... but every good thing must come to an end or at least a stalemate. I started noticing a trend happening. I was trying to keep up with everyone's lives online most of the day when my own was being put on hold and eventually nothing was getting done. I also noticed that I would feel jealous of others and their seemingly perfect lives. I would read a post that would say something like, "Made cupcakes with all 3 kids today for our church's bake-sale. It was such a fun time to spend with my children." (Complete this with a picture on "Instagram" of 3 bright-eyed happy kids with cupcake batter on their smiling faces.) Then I look around at my messy house with 4 piles of laundry and 2 fighting boys, and I still haven't even thought about what to do for dinner much less a perfect little church bake-sale. I took some time off to try and perfect my own life. HA! After realizing this was never going to happen I just started posting my own crazy little realities. What really happens in my house on a daily basis. I started having fun again and my family and friends liked my nutty stories. Then I noticed that I felt bad if someone "liked" my story or commented on it and I didn't keep up or do the same for them. So, I tried then to keep up with everyone's posts and comment or at least "like" them. EXHAUSTION! I can't do it! I love everyone and I couldn't keep up without once again wasting my life on Facebook. Another thing, it is so awkward when you actually see someone you're friends with on Facebook and they expect you to know what they're talking about because they had already posted it on their status. Well, what if you really do want to know what they're up to but because you have a friend who posts pictures and random quotes they find online all day and you missed it. What then? Does this make me a bad Facebook friend? There are several things on Facebook I won't pretend to understand and while I'm not the picture of perfect facebooking myself, I still have my opinions on a few of what have become my social media pet peeves. For instance, if you're going to post pictures of food at least include a recipe. This is only fair. Yes it looks good and you didn't invite me over to have any, you're just rubbing my nose in it that I'm not getting to eat it. Same thing goes with restaurant food photos, name of the restaurant please and the item you ordered should also be included. And, what is it with married couples or any couples for that matter literally having conversations via Facebook? Professing your love for each other in a follow up comment on a post: how romantic. We get it, you love each other so get a room or how about get off the computer/phone and opt for some actual physical contact via the privacy of your own bedroom. Also, why is it when people are sick they post about how bad they feel? Here's a novel idea: get off Facebook, take some medicine and go to bed. Furthermore, this "checking in" stuff. What is up with everyone wanting everyone to know where they are? Not at home? Now I can rob your house. Nice. So many things to question and there are so many things I've done that get on my own nerves. Playing games and wasting so much of my time for NOTHING. Seriously, how is Family Feud on Facebook going to help me clean my house? I haven't done this one in a long time (probably because I did them all) but I would take these quizzes that told me something about myself. Such as a "What Your Favorite Color Says About You." What the hell was wrong with me? I would literally feel down if the answer came back with a negative depiction of my character... because of my favorite color? I obviously have issues, which is why I'm not on Facebook as much anymore. People like me (with issues) should use social media outlets with care. I have a flimsy self-image, (which I'm working on) and a need to make people happy. (Which, I've almost mastered the notion that I can't please everyone but making people smile still makes my day.) The combination of those two things can sometimes riddle me with anxiety. In wrapping up my Facebook soap box rant, I'll just say that there are many good things about Facebook and I miss certain things about it. For the most part, however, I've kept my house up better, done more laundry, spent more time with my kids and husband and worried less that my sarcasm didn't translate well on a follow up comment I made on someone's status update. I doubt anyone cares about my "Blues" but just in case I can make someone smile with my observations, I may just have to hit the "share" button and post this to Facebook. Ha, the irony!

2 comments:

  1. Well you hit ALL the nails on the head. Just hope facebook doesn't put out a hit on you. This might cause others to abandon ship. Meanwhile you must have an outlet for your extreme writing talent so let's see some more blogging right away! And hey, if you share something on facebook and I "like" it, you don't have to "like" me back or "poke" me or anything. Just to see you there makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One is that you should to cheap wow gold create a bank alt, this also the basic of the leveling which will assist you with your Best WoW Gold Making Professions is critical at this stage of the game as you don't want to waste precious leveling time running back to the City to sell your stuff on the Auction House. Another things this simple that you should raise your character to level 5. With a good wow gold farming guide you will find the wow gold legal ways to make the wow gold fast and you will find that a wow gold farming guide is so important for us. Due to the nature of World of Warcraft whether you play as a Horde Player or an Alliance player you will find you need a lot of gold especially in the later levels when you will need a good steed. In the World of Warcraft there are so many spots to farm for gold, silver and bronze ,so there are plenty of World of Warcraft farming guides on the web and they will show you the best and quickest way to obtain vast wowgold amounts of gold in the shortest time possible.

    ReplyDelete