Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. Not her wart! I'm... I'm the wart. She's my tumor. My... my growth. My... uh, my pimple.



I'm pretty vain. I don't think in an unhealthy way, just in the way that I don't want to look ugly. I enjoy my make-up, hair straightener, perfume and accessories. So, imagine my delight when in my 30's I discover adult acne. Adult CYSTIC acne. The whole phrase is ugly and when it shows up on your face, it is ugly. What makes it more difficult is the fact that I never had skin problems growing up.
So the other day I'm having breakfast with my mom and one of my sisters when I notice my mom looking at my zit. She says, "Is that a growth?" (Good lord mother, thanks.) She meant that she thought it was some sort of sun damaged mole growing on my face. Oh, lovely - that's much better. The make up I caked on it just made it look like a big GROWTH. Totally made me think of one of my favorite movies - Uncle Buck. (which is where my blog title came from) Now, as if the pulsating painful throbbing boil on my face wasn't making me self-conscious enough, now all I can think of is Uncle Buck throwing a quarter at me and telling me to "go have a rat gnaw that thing off my face."
I rushed out the other day and hunted down the ProActiv kiosk at Woodland Hills Mall. The advertisement on television looks good, Katy Perry tells how devastating her acne was to her until she discovered PROACTIV! It's $19.99 with FREE SHIPPING! But my growth is desperate and I can't wait for mail. So I get there and the kiosk girl shows me this "kit" that looks just like the one on TV... ONLY IT'S 10 TIMES SMALLER. When I mention this to her, she tells me it's actually larger than the one on TV. Huh? The one on TV is a 1 month supply and the kiosk version is a 2 month supply (and costs twice as much.) So, I leave. I'm deflated (my zit - not so much). What really chaps my growth is that someone like Katy Perry who can afford the munchkin bottles of zit zapper probably never has to pay a cent for it because she so poopular. That's ok, my cheapness paid off. I ended up finding this stuff at Walgreens's that ROCKS.

Ya know, I'm vain and will continue to be. I like looking nice - so what? I'm not unrealistic. I understand beauty fades and I strive everyday to look as nice on the inside as I do on the out. It's way more important to be beautiful on the inside anyway. This is another way God shows His sense of humor in life. If you ever depend on anything else more than Him, whether it's money, popularity or beauty, you will just feel empty inside.
Let's face it... we are all just a few years away from a hairy mole, gray hair and (thank heavens!) blurry vision. (But I wouldn't know anything about that.)

1 comment:

  1. My condolences for your unsightly growth:) My outbreak of unsightly acne occurred during my first pregnancy. Remember how people would say "there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman"? Well I waddled around like a huge spotted, dotted pityful monster looking to waste all the people who used that line. Meanwhile, thank you for the fantastic reminder of UNCLE BUCK. So loved that movie. So loved this post:)

    ReplyDelete