Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crossing The Finish Line


So, I have a crazy amount of things I've left unfinished. I start something, go all in, gung ho and guns blazing... then for reasons that are only related to fear, I give up. What?! But Michele, you're a Christian! What is the problem and why can't you trust God? I guess you just don't have enough faith.
"Oh, the pressure of being a Christian!" (In Kat's voice from Pretty Woman.)

So, being a Christian means you should never have doubts, God is on our side and if we have enough faith we should be able to overcome anything. OK, yes, this is true and if we lived in a perfect world then perhaps I could put this into practice on a much more regular basis. But since we're all screwed up because of life's experiences it is much more difficult to just hop, skip and jump over our fears.

I picture running a race. (The idea I get for a project.) I think of the preparation that comes before I enter the race.(The research I do.) The gun going off as I sprint off the start. (Buying supplies and beginning the project.) The adrenaline pumping as I get past the 1st mile marker.(Gaining confidence since people keep telling me what a great job I'm doing.) The slowing down a little as your breath becomes more shallow. (Doubts creeping in.) The cramps in my legs and feet.(More intense doubting.) The tunnel vision as it seems the finish line was extended by miles and I run out of breath and fall down. (The doubts in my capabilities win out and I give up.)

I'm learning that I have so many fears that keep me from finishing the race and I'm working on overcoming the voices in my head that tell me I'm not good enough. I know it's not true and one day I will really believe it.

Being a Christian doesn't make me bullet proof. What is does make me is dependant on God. When I fall, I know He is there to pick me up. I have so much to work on but life is a journey, a journey I choose to go on with tons of help from HIM.

I will cross that finish line someday... To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment