Sunday, April 10, 2011

God Wins

God Wins. Two small words that carry so much power. Today in church this is what our pastor spoke, those two little, GIANT words. People are hurting so much these days. I see it everywhere. I've been there and no doubt there will be another time when I need to remember that God Wins. When we are in the pit, it feels like no one hears us, even God. There are people in my family that need to hear those words, there are friends that need to hear those words and there are neighbors, and all kinds of people walking around feeling empty and looking for so many things to fill their voids, and they look every place but to the one being that always WINS. Why is that? Well, maybe because when we are far from God, He doesn't seem tangible. I know when I was in the pit, I gave up because I felt like He wasn't paying attention to me any way. Why would all these bad feelings keep stirring up if He was there for me? So instead of pressing towards God, I pushed Him even farther away. I didn't want to hear anyone tell me that I needed to look on the bright side or that God was in control. It takes some of us to get to the bottom of our empty fillers to begin to pray again because we don't have any other option. And all along He was the only option and it is in this that if we really open our eyes, we can see the purpose.

Not long ago, I lost someone very close to me to cancer. She was such a special lady and gave everything she had to God. She devoted her life to a ministry and loved helping people. When she passed, I fell into a pit and really felt like I could have done more for her. I wish I could say I'm over that feeling but I'm not there yet. What I didn't know at the time is that because of that experience I would be used for God's purpose in someone else's life.

The other day, I received a text from my pastor about a girl in our church who was losing her mother. He asked me to call her. When I began the phone call, I had no idea what I would say or if I could offer any kind of comfort for her. When we started talking I could hear God say "Just pray for her" - so I did. I also told her that I couldn't understand what it would be like to lose your mom but that I had lost someone close to me and could only imagine how she felt. She opened up to me some more. I later learned that she had lost her father some years back and didn't have a church family to comfort her and had turned to drugs and alcohol. I have never felt such an anointing on my spirit and I began to cry without control over it. It was during that feeling that I understood a small part of what God wants to me to do. It's what I think we all are supposed to do - Use our experiences to help others get through the hard times in life. I don't know what that looks like for everyone and every situation is different. I know that coming out of my last time in the pit, I knew that I wanted to help others out or help keep them from going in. I hope I always say yes when the opportunity arises because that was the most amazing feeling ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment